FREEDOM FESTIVAL IS BACK IN 2021 BETWEEN 20 AUGUST AND 5 SEPTEMBER
- Hull's award-winning international arts festival returns in 2021 for the 14th year running from Friday 20 August – Sunday 5 September
- The majority of events will be free and in line with government guidance most will be ticketed to manage capacity and ensure safety of audience
- Booking for selected events opens on Friday 2 July at midday. Tickets can be booked at freedomfestival.co.uk or by calling our ticketing hotline on 01482 390410 (open from 2 July, Mon-Fri midday until 4pm).
- The Hull Vigil continues daily at Hull College until 3 May 2022 (thehullvigil.co.uk)
- As a festival encore, Freedom is co-presenting 7 Fingers: Passagers at Hull New Theatre on Tuesday 28 September. Tickets for this event are available now at https://www.hulltheatres.co.uk/events/passagers
Initial events announced include:
GAIA (earth) - Luke Jerram who last was at Freedom Festival with the hugely popular Museum of the Moon in 2018. Working in association with Hull Minster (where Gaia will be presented), and the Woodland Trust, audiences will experience this amazing installation surrounded by trees with a bespoke soundscape. During the Festival around Gaia there will be a series of special events, concerts and talks which will include a specially commissioned performance by The Broken Orchestra, and the culmination of a project based around climate change in association with Westcott Primary School.
C-O-N-T-A-C-T Aria Entertainment and WEF Productions join forces with Freedom to present this performance which sold out during both its recent Paris and London runs. Become totally immersed in the world of our characters for 50 remarkable minutes, as you plug into this joyous, poetic and liberating experience, Walk the path with the performers and share their sensations and thoughts, as the action unfolds before your eyes.
Only Expansion by Duncan Speakman remixes the sound around you so you can experience what climate change may sound like through augmented audio.
15ft6 - League & Legend. We are excited to be bringing performances back to the city this year at Stage@TheDock, featuring this circus skills based show from the Belgiian company.
Rise - Tribe. Also at Stage@TheDock, a powerful female-led dance piece.
Four other events at Stage@TheDock will be announced soon.
Daryl Beeton - A Square World. A solo show for families performed at Hull Truck, this is a playful story of what happens when you don't fit in. Using ingeniously designed abstract props, his non-verbal performance gets children to think about disability and how we can include everyone.
Blast Theory - Rider Spoke.. Grab your bike and explore your city, recording stories about your life and listening to other people’s. If you don’t own a bike we will have a small number of bikes available so that as many people as possible will be able to enjoy this experience.
SquidSoup/ArtReach - Where There Is Light,, an incredible installation, commissioned by Freedom Festival, at Ferens Art Gallery created in association with sanctuary seeking communities in Hull and across the country, exploring the theme of light.
Yara+ Davina - Arrivals + Departures. Commissioned by Freedom Festival, this is, an interactive exploration of birth death and the journey in between, which comes to Hull following appearances in London and New York.
The Hull Vigil, Our year long event continues daily at Hull College until 3 May 2022.
7 Fingers - Passagers.. Our Festival encore, as we co-present the iconic Canadian modern circus company in their new show at Hull New Theatre on 28 September. .
Additional information and ticket announcements will be released over the next weeks. To keep up to date visit www.freedomfestival.co.uk and follow @FreedomFestHull (Twitter and Instagram)